Current:Home > FinancePolice officials in Paterson sue New Jersey attorney general over state takeover of department -GrowthInsight
Police officials in Paterson sue New Jersey attorney general over state takeover of department
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:53:44
PATERSON, N.J. (AP) — Top Paterson police officials have filed a lawsuit against New Jersey’s attorney general, accusing him of overstepping his authority with the takeover of the police department in the state’s third-largest city.
Attorney General Matthew Platkin put the 300-plus officer Paterson police department under state supervision in March, less than a month after officers there shot and killed a well-known crisis intervention worker during a tense standoff. Platkin didn’t mention the shooting of 31-year-old Najee Seabrooks but cited a “crisis of confidence in law enforcement” as the office had assumed control of all police functions, including the division that investigates internal police matters.
While New Jersey’s constitution gives the state attorney general direct supervision of county prosecutors and police chiefs, Paterson’s police chief and acting police director argue in a complaint filed in Passaic County Superior Court that the state takeover “exceeds the bounds of their statutory and constitutional authority,” NJ.com reported.
Platkin spokesperson Sharon Lauchaire called the suit “as unfortunate as it is meritless,” telling NJ.com in an email that the attorney general’s authority to supersede local law enforcement agencies “is well established — and given the history in Paterson, the need to do so was clear.”
The attorney general’s office has been involved in a handful of investigations in the city of more than 150,000 that’s roughly 20 miles (32 kilometers) northwest of New York. In February, Platkin announced an aggravated assault charge against a Paterson officer who he said shot a fleeing unarmed man. In December, a grand jury declined to indict Paterson police officers involved in the death of a man they restrained two months earlier.
Mayor Andre Sayegh, although not a plaintiff in the lawsuit, on Monday called himself an “interested party,” and said his office needs to know if the attorney general’s takeover was allowed under state law.
Sayegh also said officials had been making “dramatic changes” to the department, but their implementation of “serious and meaningful change” had been interrupted by the takeover. He said he had fired one police chief, but the chief’s replacement had only a few weeks to work on the issues before he was sidelined by the state.
State officials contend that the takeover is working, citing a significant decline in violent crime last summer compared to the summer before.
veryGood! (8511)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Kim Kardashian Reveals Why She Used SKIMS Fabric to Wrap Her Christmas Presents
- Man fatally shot by Detroit police during traffic stop; officer dragged 20 yards
- How Jason Momoa Is Spending Holidays With His Kids
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- This $299 Sparkly Kate Spade Bag is Now Just $69 & It's the Perfect Going Out Bag
- Santa has a hotline: Here's how to call Saint Nick and give him your Christmas wish list
- Democrats in Congress call for action on flaws in terrorist watchlist
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Australia batter Khawaja gets ICC reprimand over black armband to support Palestinians in Gaza
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 2023 was the year return-to-office died. Experts share remote work trends expected in 2024
- How George Clooney finally made an 'exciting' rowing movie with 'The Boys in the Boat'
- Key takeaways from AP report on US-funded projects in Gaza that were damaged or destroyed
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Derek Hough says wife Hayley Erbert's skull surgery was successful: 'Immense relief'
- These Weekend Sales Prove it's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year to Score Major Savings
- Greece says 81 people were rescued from a stranded ship along an illegal migration route to Italy
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
How a 19th century royal wedding helped cement the Christmas tree as holiday tradition
Judge suggests change to nitrogen execution to let inmate pray and say final words without gas mask
US land managers plan to round up thousands of wild horses across Nevada
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
LeBron James is out with left ankle peroneal tendinopathy. What is that? How to treat it
What you need to know about MLB's new rule changes for 2024 season
How a 19th century royal wedding helped cement the Christmas tree as holiday tradition